Dear Friends in Christ,
This Sunday marks the beginning of Advent, our time of waiting and preparing for the coming of our Lord. The psalmist's plea in Psalm 80:2, "Stir up your power and come!," has become familiar to us in the Advent prayers. Similarly, Isaiah wants God to rip the heavens open and come down (Isaiah 64:1-9). Both the psalmist and Isaiah cry out for an apparently distant, angry God to show up, to save, to restore. When we hear Jesus describing the coming of the Son of Man with stars falling from heaven, it can sound dire and horrible, not like anything we would ever hope for (Mark 13:24-37). But when we really look at the suffering of people God loves, we can share the hope that God would tear open the heavens and come.
Prayer of the Day
Stir up your power, Lord Christ, and come. By your merciful protection awaken us to the threatening dangers of our sins, and keep us blameless until the coming of your new day, for you live and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen
· Advent begins this Sunday, November 30th, which means that SOV's weekly Advent soup suppers and worship will begin on Wednesday, Dec. 3rd. Dinner will be served at 5:45 pm, and worship will follow at 6:30 pm. Please join us for this welcome mid-week respite: food for body and soul!
In our Prayers
· SOV's Call Committee—prayers for wisdom and guidance, as they review resumes and prepare for a new round of interviews;
· SOV's next pastor (God knows who this is!)—prayers for the guidance of the Holy Spirit, as he or she discerns God's call;
· Prayers for safety and wisdom for all who serve in the military;
· Prayers for strength and guidance for all who are caring for loved ones;
· Prayers of comfort and encourage for all who are seeking employment.